Sunday, October 12, 2014

The Making of a Cover

It's coming, it's coming! Dakota del Toro # 2 will be here soon, scheduled for release for Kindle early November. (Just in time for the holiday season, as this action packed installment centers around Christmas time in Santa Fe).  

Being an artist as well as a writer, I've always thought it would be great fun to design my own covers for my books. As in all things, it’s harder than it looks! What catches people's attention? What would be both visually pleasing and true to the content of the book? 

Planning the design, there were a few places I knew didn't want to go with my cover. It seems the cover of every other urban fantasy featuring a strong female lead illustrates said lead in jeans and a leather jacket, or perhaps scantily clad or in an outfit consisting of leather straps and heels (utterly ridiculous battle gear, if you ask me) in a shadowy setting, usually an alley or graveyard. The other popular alternative for urban fantasy books with a romantic spin is placing a half dressed muscled male on the front, staring out with a steamy come-hither stare. Well, ok, he may be yum, but frankly I would be embarrassed to take that book out into public, or have it sit out on the table in my living room, and that seems counterproductive to me. 

I’ve always been drawn to covers with a handmade touch, and recently I’ve realized bright graphic images inevitably catch my eye too. I’m a sucker for black outline. Stubborn purist that I am, I went the old school route, drawing it out with graphite, then ink, on [gasp!] actual paper.


 I began filling in the color with water soluble Prismacolor pencils.
I added the final touches with gouache and acrylic paint.



The finished product to be revealed soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment